Friday, September 24, 2010

Sitting Pretty... and Other Southern Terms of Endearment

I’ve stretched the last painting for next week’s opening at Palette Contemporary. Been listening to Mark Knopfler’s album, “Sailing to Philadelphia”; whilst covered in oil paint. I was inspired to rediscover this musical gem as my daughter studied the facts behind the Revolutionary War. She wanted to figure-out the exact extent to which the current crops of tea-baggers were “off-their-nut”. She has completed “1776” by David McCullough, watched the HBO mini-series “John Adams” and is now reading “Common Sense” by Thomas Paine. Despite her best efforts to discover a religious underpinning to our constitution… she has concluded… nope, no theocracy here.

I spent the past month promising myself a brief requiem from the pressure of preparing for solo exhibitions… once I pass the opening of next week’s October show. However, today, as the last painting was set outside to bake in the desert sun, I began my plans for two wall-sized canvases. Although, I’m sure it is nothing more than a tactic to continue to stink of linseed oil from now until the close of winter. -North

No comments: