Saturday, May 12, 2007

As I see it....

"The role of the artist, of course, has always been that of image-maker. Different times require different images. Today when our aspirations have been reduced to a desperate attempt to escape from evil, and times are out of joint, our obsessive, subterranean and pictographic images are the expression of the neurosis which is our reality. To my mind certain so-called abstraction is not abstraction at all. On the contrary, it is the realism of our time. " - Mark Rothko (1903-1970)

2 comments:

Vin. said...

Interesting quote. I'm a big Rothko fan, myself. Did you ever notice how dark his art got towards the/his end?

danielnorth.com said...

I believe the key is that he was predicting his own end. One knows when the time comes, one knows how to prepare others... even if not how to prepare one's self. - DN