Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Perfect Line

Movement, space, transition… they can all be defined with pure contour line; but how do we determine the specifics of a perfect line? While my search for flawless line has lasted over a decade, my explicit reach for a particular type of motion to create such a line in the figure has been at the forefront of my mind for exactly three weeks in a row, now. I eat and watch the movement of my daughters jaw-line flex in and out of view, hidden and exposed with the actions of drinking and chewing. The reach of my sons’ outstretched arms pandering for the last morsels of food from centrally located serving dishes. The shifts of the curve in my wife’s neck as she turns her gaze from child to child and at last myself. Gathering and consuming… the revealed motions of nature’s easily exposed sense of pure contour line? - DN

No comments: