Monday, July 17, 2006

Revised Statement

The most difficult aspect of writing about one's own work is the concept of making the statement all-encompassing not just for past works, but also to cover any expected journeys of which one may choose to branch-off during the process of creating. My newer works have less to do with missing faith and more with the freedom of the American West that allows one to explore heritage and culture. This is the revised statement I decided upon to fullfill this other path:

The large hanging scrolls that I construct are painted representations of the American West as I experience it - in CONSTANT MOTION. While each painting is an opportunity to explore both my subject and medium, the work is from direct contact with the environment it represents and is often created in one continuous process of layering paint, ink and various binding-mediums in the spontaneous SPIRIT of traditional Sumi-e drawings. I am not attempting to recreate Sumi-e paintings and drawings, I am interested in producing work that focuses on movement as a representation for the evolution of past knowledge.

Just some thoughts - DN

No comments: