Thursday, March 16, 2006

Films that Inspire

Continuing on the topic of inspiration - this morning, I was thinking about films and their influence. Born in the seventies and raised during the John Hughes eighties, I am naturally a child of popular culture. I watched a LOT of television in my youth. I was in elementary school when VHS began to be the standard in homes and weekend movie rentals first started. I remember the first video store in my town of 19,000. I even remember my friend, Howard Short, mostly because his dad owned a Beta machine and had to rent a VHS player, just to watch rented movies.

I list a number of films that I enjoy on my blogger profile. Oddly enough, none of them fall too heavily in the “inspiration” category. Sure “Pollock” and “Life Lessons” are great to watch when you need to do something to get motivated; but they don’t do much for me personally in terms of defining my muse.

The films that changed my outlook on life are typically the ones that affected my notion of travel.

- Shane (This was my father’s favorite film, I still remember the first time I saw the Grand Tetons in person, at the age of 29).

- A River Runs Through It (I actually saw the film, before reading the book)

- Off the Map (I have long been infatuated with simplicity, but this made it seem more than just right – it made the movement seem like a necessary part of life)

- Italian for Beginners (An odd choice… it was shot like a documentary but with acting and distinct narrative, the premise is multicultural understanding; Dutch adults learning Italian, with English subtitles, and somehow not confusing)

- The Good Life (no not the 1970’s BBC comedy; but rather a 1997 Documentary made in Wales about people leaving London to live simply in the Welsh countryside)

Kind of a reoccurring “back to nature” theme, throughout, with a bit of understanding for those of different cultures and societies tossed in for balance.

I know there are many more, but this is just off the top of my head. What films inspire your muse? - DN

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Films that inspire me:
1. The Seven Samari a film about justice sacrifice beyond the call.
2. Early Peter Wier films like: Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Last Wave
3. Big Jake. I love John Wayne as the tough guy.
4. American in Paris. My hero and idol was Gene Kelly (he is totally what I wanted to be as a man mixed in a little of Big Jake)
5. The King of Hearts. A 1960’s film about WWI, insane asylums and who really belongs in them.

Anonymous said...

I have a few movies that inspire me, but I think maybe in different ways than mentioned here.

1.Sin City (I just watched this movie, but the way the movie moves the stories around and fixates color on important parts of the story is innovative to say the least)
2.Jurrasic Park (I first watched it when I was about 8 or 9. before that I hadn't seen anything beyond a PG movie. It was one of the few things in life I was amazed by)
3.Toy Story (proving that when we finally have pushed the bar all the way to the top, some people, like the people at Pixar, make a new bar)
4.Karate Kid: If for nothing else the tingles I got listening to the song "you are the best"
5. Man of LaMancha: One of the most glorious movies I've ever seen, period.
6. Kill Bill: I don't know why I like this movie or why I must see it over and over again. But the combination of western and eastern filmmaking keeps me entranced.

Anonymous said...

"Quills" is a bit of an offkilter look at the drive to create. Facinating!

"Catch 22" is my favorite, and each character is an utter metaphor for a human quality in the war of life.

I havent seen "The Agony and the Ectasy" lately, but it's probably a good one too!

Anonymous said...

I have seen more then my share of films one of the all time best is The days of wine&roses with Jack LEMON &lEE Rimek approp(1960)Lemmon won best acting, acadmey award