Monday, May 15, 2006

Where Do You Go To live Your Dreams?

“Dreams are necessary to life.” -Anais Nin

Anais Nin is most famous for her “diaries” of life among the famous writers and artists of the early 20th century. Ms. Nin recorded her private experiences and delicate interactions for nearly sixty years in a collection of diaries written with specific themes and allusions. Her public writing contrasted heavily with her private diaries and it is this personal approach that intrigues me both as an artist and writer.

In my youth, I was a fan of the “Choose your own adventure” style of quest books. I dare say, I blame those books for my early introduction to the freedom and risk of “personal choice”. Hence, I now imagine art (both visual and literary) as a series of personal narratives; though not just created descriptions of what has occurred – but more importantly latent possibilities for alternative realities. – DN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I learned three things in Zurlich during the war. I wrote them down. Firstly, you're either a revolutionary or you're not, and if you're not you might as well be an artist as anything else. Secondly, if you can't be an artist, you might as well be a revolutionary ...I forget the third thing." Tom Stoppard from Travesties [1975], last lines